Sunday, May 22, 2011

Arriving for my MBA

So finally the D-Day arrived. The train was at 6:00 am and i got up at 3:30 to recheck i had kept everything. Right from the charger of my cell phone to my clothes. I was hyper excited as well as hyper scared, because Murphy's Law has a habit of striking at such moments. After calming my self down, I walked with my huge two luggages and off towards the railway station with my parents. I half expected the train, Shatabdi, to be somewhere on a god forsaken platform number and it was on 7. Carrying atleast 40 kilos i finally tugged all my luggage in, met a few of a coincidental friends travelling to Chennai for other purposes and before I knew it the journey began.

I guess I slept through most part of it and the parts that I did not, I was on the phone with my friends. The train was supposed to reach at around 11.00 and it reached at 11.00 by the minute. Got ripped off at the railway station by the cab driver who threatened me(Me of all people!) and finally after some real reckless driving I made it to Green Meadows. And the board said 'Welcome to Spartans'. The feeling of getting back to college had not sunk in by then and to me it felt as if I am on a all paid vacation. Since my reporting time was 2-3 i started asking around for the process and meeting a whole new bunch of people.

The group who were supposed to report at around 11 am finished tagging their luggage and were off towards great lakes before I met a couple of other guys. Met an ex office friend, and then met some more new friends and before i knew it, we were around thirty strangers talking about ISB versus Great Lakes , what food we can expect, the humidity in chennai. The tagging of the luggage was simple though I could not fathom the process of removing the sticker. After serving onion pakodas and kappi and tea, we were off to great lakes packed in a bus.

Sitting in the first row, i could clearly see the reason why the ECR was designed to cut down population. To overtake is a do or die mission. I guess our bus nearly tried to knock over many people but luckily it never quite managed to do that. After forty minutes we saw a barrier bearing the Great Lakes logo, though not yet a part of the college, felt somewhat happy to see it. And then after an hour we were there. The board and entrance of Great Lakes Institute of Management welcomed us into its fold. And like true believers we walked our first baby steps into the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment